Sunday, February 9, 2020

Comics I'm Reading and Collecting - February 2020

Here's an alphabetical listing of the comics I'm currently collecting:
  • Blackbird (Image) by Sam Humphries (w) and Jen Bartel (i)
  • Criminal (Image) by Ed Brubaker (w) and Sean Phillips (i)
  • Death Or Glory (Image) by Rick Remender (w) and Bengal (i)
  • Die (Image) by Kieron Gillen (w) and Stephanie Hans (i)
  • Die!Die!Die! (Image) by Scott M. Gimple (w), Robert Kirkman (w), and Chris Burnham (i)
  • Excellence (Image) by Khary Randolph (w) and Brandon Thomas (i)
  • Family Tree (Image) by Jeff Lemire (w) and Phil Hester (i)
  • Gideon Falls (Image) by Jeff Lemire (w) and Andrea Sorrentino (i)
  • Isola (Image) by Brenden Fletcher (w) and Karl Kerschl (w/i)
  • Oblivion Song (Image) by Robert Kirkman (w) and Lorenzo de Felici (i)
  • Once And Future (Boom!) by Kieron Gillen (w) and Dan Mora (i)
  • The Plot (Vault) by Michael Moreci (w), Tim Daniel (w), and Joshua Hixson (i)
  • Port Of Earth (Image) by Zack Kaplan (w) and Andrea Mutti (i)
  • The Realm (Image) by Seth M. Peck (w) and Jeremy Haun (i)
  • Runaways (Marvel) by Rainbow Rowell (w) and Kris Anka (i)
  • Saga (Image) by Brian K. Vaughan (w) and Fiona Staples (i)
  • Stranger Things (Dark Horse) by Jody Houser (w), Keith Champagne (i), Marissa Louise (i), Stefano Martino (i), and Edgar Salazar (i)
  • Undiscovered Country (Image) by Scott Snyder (w), Charles Soule (w), Giuseppe Camuncoli (i), and Daniele Orlandini (i)
  • The Weatherman (Image) by Jody LeHup (w) and Nathan Fox (i)
Some notable things, having compiled and now reflected on that list:
  1. That is a helluva lot of comics.  Even considering that several of them are published irregularly, and one of them (Saga... *sob*) having gone well more than a year since its last issue, I spend quite a bit of my leisure money and time buying and reading comic books.
  2. Yes, almost every title is published by Image.  Most of my life, and up through about two years ago, this list was much smaller and almost exclusively Marvel.  Now Runaways is my only Marvel title, and when it concludes, I have no plans to pick up another.  That's a post for another day.  Image puts out so many outstanding books.  Some favorites that have since wrapped, in order of their duration, are The Walking Dead, Invincible, Paper Girls, Skyward, Royal City, and Wytches.  I am still hopeful that last one will return, but with Undiscovered Country a smash success, it feels unlikely for the time being.
  3. A surprising number of them fall into the category of horror.  I've consumed a fair amount of scary media, but they'd never been my go-to comics.  For many years, The Walking Dead was the only horror mag I read.  My current favorite, excepting Saga on its extended hiatus, is the brilliant Die, a horror-fantasy.  A couple more, Once And Future and The Realm, I'd classify as the same.  A few more are mostly-straight horror: Family Tree, Gideon Falls, and The Plot.  
  4. Most of the rest are either science fiction (Oblivion Song, Port Of Earth, Saga, Stranger Things, Undiscovered Country, The Weatherman), fantasy (Blackbird, Excellence, Isola), or crime (Criminal, Death Or Glory).
I plan to do brief reviews of each title as I read their current issues, sharing in those posts what drew me to the series in the first place and what keeps me coming back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wellness, Part Trois (and Packers and Station Eleven, too)

 It's been four full months since my previous post here, and also of weight loss maintenance. Even through the holidays, I have been bel...